When Henry Gilbert Smith developed his new resort at Manly his priority was to build a pier to accommodate excursion ferries. This was finished in September 1855, and a daily ferry service operated by 1857.
Eleven years later the pier was extended fifty feet in to deeper water. In 1916, accommodation was further improved and a half-timber façade and clock tower were added. Following a fire in 1939, much of the passenger wharf was rebuilt.
During the 1940s shops were added, extending the wharf’s curved façade. During the 1980s a new bus-ferry interchange was created, which maintained the wharf façade and provided shops and amusements. Manly Wharf continues to be a major meeting-place for local commuters, tourists and visitors.